University Job Title
None – Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile
Supervisor; Senior Associate (23)
Searchable Job Family
Total # of hours to be worked:
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
2 Whitney Avenue
New Haven, CT 06510
Yale’s central communications division, the Office of Public Affairs & Communications (OPAC), seeks an outstanding visual storyteller to help portray the university’s vivid life and essential work, including teaching and learning, research and performance, and community life.
As a member of OPAC’s editorial team, the video producer/editor will create video and still photography for various purposes and publications, emphasizing projects for OPAC-produced websites, newsletters, and social media properties. All imagery supports OPAC’s mission of informing and inspiring local and global audiences while stewarding Yale’s reputation and voice.
Reporting to the senior director of photography and video, the producer/editor will join a talented and energetic team of visual media experts pursuing a broad, varied, and dynamic slate of news, feature, and documentary assignments supporting a communications strategy increasingly invested in multimedia presentation. Some assignments will be team efforts, and some will be principally solo projects.
Enthusiasm, the ability to pivot quickly and meet deadlines, and a commitment to craft, creativity, and collegiality are hallmarks of the team. The candidate must be comfortable with and able to handle photo and video shoots that will sometimes occur outside regular business hours and must meet all deadlines.
Applicants must submit examples of photo and video work. This position requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to lift at least 40 pounds of production equipment.
- Produce compelling video/photo content for Yale’s marquee-owned media properties.
- Work closely with all members of the OPAC editorial team to identify media-rich stories.
- Help devise solutions for capturing high-quality media during field productions and identify and evaluate new methods for content creation.
- Generate and maintain accurate documentation of all project-related activities and equipment status.
- Collaborate collegially with all members of the Yale community, including faculty, staff, students, and senior administrators, to create dynamic visual stories.
This is a “HYBRID” position: 2 days/week required on-site. (If actively filming/shooting, additional on-site days may be required)
DISREGARD ESSENTIAL DUTIES SECTION BELOW
- Participate in all phases of production – from idea conception to recording to final editing – for a variety of content, with a particular focus on educational content. 2. Collaborate with an internal team of technological and pedagogical experts as well as clients, including faculty and senior administrators, to integrate video and other multimedia formats into lectures, teaching material, and other communications. 3. Provide perspectives on solutions for the high-quality capture of media during field productions and in identifying and evaluating new methods for creating educational media components. 4. Collaborate with other A/V and media groups when recording on campus to ensure highest production standards are met. 5. Assist in managing the intake of media files. 6. Generate and maintain accurate documentation on all project related activities, equipment status, and project billing.
Required Education And Experience
Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1
Demonstrated ability to shoot high-quality videos and photographs of varied subjects and types, including portraits, candids, landscapes, and architecture.
Required Skill/Ability 2
Extremely skilled in lighting for portrait photography and video interviews.
Required Skill/Ability 3
Proven ability to produce compelling videos using only sound captured in the field. Ability to write and outline project descriptions and summaries of visual content proposals.
Required Skill/Ability 4
Proficiency in photo/video editing software such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom or similar.
Preferred Education, Experience And Skills
Skilled in After Effects and/or other motion graphic-producing software. Proficient in social media and the types of video/photo that perform best on the major platforms. Booking shoots and handling production logistics.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. For additional information on the background check requirements and process visit “Learn about background checks” under the Applicant Support Resources section of Careers on the It’s Your Yale website.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
The University maintains policies pertaining to COVID-19. All faculty, staff, students, and trainees are required to comply with these policies, which may be found here:
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
University policy is committed to affirmative action under law in employment of women, minority group members, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans. Additionally, in accordance with Yale’s Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment, and as delineated by federal and Connecticut law, Yale does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment against any individual on account of that individual’s sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, disability, status as a special disabled veteran, veteran of the Vietnam era or other covered veteran.
Inquiries concerning Yale’s Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment may be referred to the Office of Institutional Equity and Accessibility (OIEA).
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus