Dailymail.com is the world’s largest English-language newspaper website with more than 200 million monthly unique visitors. Our teams across the globe strive to provide our readers with engaging, fast and rolling news, 24/7, 365 days a year. With more than 360 journalists worldwide, we are seeking individuals who want to join a global media organization with excellent career development opportunities.
We are seeking a Senior Night Editor to oversee the editorial direction of the Dailymail.com news teams, Daily Mail apps and social channels reporting into the Executive Managing Editor.
In collaboration with the executive teams, you will work to execute strategy and manage a team of breaking news reporters, photo and video producers. You will be responsible for ensuring the quality of output in alignment with the demands of a 24-hour global news operation.
You will require excellent news judgement and be able to quickly identify content which engages with our readership. You will also be responsible for the planning and development of long-term news stories and events.
You will attend and contribute daily news conferences aligning with the local and global news agendas. You will exercise editorial judgement and analytics to curate the content for our digital readership.
A strong track record of news gathering, editing and managing a team is essential, together with an understanding of digital 24-hour news and the processes and pressures that come with operating in this environment.
Outstanding candidates should also be able to demonstrate their ability to balance editorial objectives in a fast-paced news environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage team of breaking news reporters, photo and video producers, social and SEO teams
- Work jointly with the executive team to plan the editorial direction and workflow
- Exercise news judgement and use in-house analytics tools to ensure that news teams are optimizing headlines and sub-decks to in-house style
- Quality control ensuring the teams produce the most engaging copy and working with content partners to ensure each story published has the most compelling selection of images, animation and video available
- Collaborating with global editorial team to obtain content from the global desks which may be of interest to the U.S. readership
- Mentoring co-workers and ensuring development opportunities are being nurtured
- Talent scouting potential new recruits
We are looking for professionals with the following:
- Passion for the DailyMail.com brand, its editorial voice and global audience
- At least six years or more experience managing teams in a major newsroom
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced newsroom environment whilst delivering accuracy and accurate presentation
- Capability to write and edit in a pressurised environment
- Applicable knowledge of multiplatform news gathering tools and resources
- Strong communication skills to direct and work collaboratively with a global team of editorial executives and co-workers
Dailymail.com operates a 24/7 newsroom, and flexibility will be required to work shifts according to the demands of the news cycle.
In addition to a competitive salary package, excellent staff benefits (healthcare, optical, dental, 401K) and generous PTO allowance are also included.