The Guardian is a global news organization that delivers fearless, independent journalism. From breaking news and award-winning investigations, to in-depth coverage of technology, sports, film, culture and lifestyle, the Guardian offers a global view that deepens our audiences’ understanding of America and the world.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian’s international coverage with US voices and expertise. Core coverage areas include the climate emergency, economic and racial inequality, digital privacy and much more. Guardian US launched in 2011 and today has bureaus in New York, Washington DC, New Orleans and Los Angeles. The Guardian is an independently owned, mission-driven organization, funded by readers around the globe.
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to The Guardian that make us who we are. Across our business we have some of the most creative thinkers in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, digital talent and more.
Senior editor, growth
Reports to: Deputy editor + head of strategy, Guardian US
Location: New York, NY (Remote applicants will be considered)
Terms and conditions: Full time, permanent. News Media Guild position.
Salary range: $120,000 – $140,000
The Guardian US seeks a creative, innovative and entrepreneurial editor and project manager to help drive growth projects in our newsroom. The Guardian US is investing in a series of journalism initiatives spanning newsletters, video, events, investigations, lifestyle coverage, sports coverage and more to deepen engagement with our US audiences. We’re seeking a highly collaborative and organized journalist with interest and expertise in new digital story formats, data and metrics, off platform journalism + events, recruitment and project management to help us build and hire these new teams, conceive and test new products, and work closely with colleagues on the product and business teams on launch and monetization strategy. This editor will work with colleagues across the newsroom on a wide portfolio of initiatives to ensure we are meeting hiring deadlines, launch timelines and benchmarks—as well as contributing strategic ideas and input on the projects.
The ideal candidate will be a creative and strategic thinker and a great manager of people and process.
- Work closely with newsroom leadership on delivery of the Guardian US editorial three-year growth plan. In year one, that means a focus on building and hiring new teams, defining the goals and strategy for new initiatives, and keeping product launches on schedule
- Over time, the role will focus on identifying and developing future growth opportunities for the Guardian US and being a source of innovative ideas for our expansion in the US
- Participating in and leading strategy sessions for new products and projects around newsletters, video, audience growth, lifestyle/wellness coverage and more
- Being a primary editorial point of contact on Guardian US events strategy
- Working with the commercial team to build out monetization strategies for editorial priorities
Key skills & experience
- 5-10 years experience working in a newsroom
- Experience or expertise in some or all of the following areas: newsletters, digital video, events, audience development, lifestyle coverage, reader revenue
- Experience working with product teams
- Up-to-date knowledge of the competitive media landscape and an understanding of journalism funding models
- Strong writing skills and editorial judgement
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach; the ability to build bridges across the newsroom, product and commercial teams
- Project management experience
- Highly organized, deadline oriented
How to Apply
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself.
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter as one document.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship.
We value and respect all differences (seen and unseen) in all people at the Guardian. We aspire to have inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.