The Messenger is a digital news media company, launching May 2023, whose mission is to deliver accurate, balanced, non-partisan news and information across every vertical, from politics and business to sports and entertainment.
We’re looking for an experienced Newsletter Editor to join our newsletter team and anchor a daily briefing newsletter. The editor will report to Head of Newsletters Cameron Hood.
This role will play a key part in the launch, day-to-day operations and expansion of The Messenger’s newsletter lineup that will reach hundreds of thousands of subscribers every day.
- Anchor a weekday morning briefing newsletter that gives readers the news they need to start their day and showcases the breadth of The Messenger’s coverage across verticals, developing a distinct and differentiating voice for it.
- Own the writing, editing and production process for the newsletter, soliciting contributions from across the newsroom.
- Use data and analytics to inform newsletter strategy.
- Help launch new newsletters in The Messenger’s growing newsletter portfolio.
- Work closely with the Head of Newsletters on newsletter content, A/B tests, testing new formats and layouts, and other email tests.
- Track, analyze and report on newsletter performance and develop approaches to build audience and increase engagement.
- An experienced newsletter editor and writer, knowledgeable on voice, editing, formats, and best practices for email.
- A creative, forward-looking approach to newsletters and opportunities for them as a product.
- Excited about anchoring a new newsletter and building a newsletter portfolio and audience for a new media start-up.
- Excellent editing, writing, proofreading, and communication skills, including subject lines and content that engage newsletter readers.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, including meeting daily and weekly deadlines.
- Comfortable working and communicating across teams in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Comfortable working independently to create, edit and send newsletters.
- Flexibility to work evening and/or early morning hours (Eastern Time) for newsletter production.
- Experience with content management systems and email platforms.
- Experience working on newsletters and within a newsroom.
- Knowledge of newsletter analytics.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all qualified candidates to apply for this position regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
**Salary range: $95,000 – 115,000**